Voice 2022 – Aria Division
2022: Fresh off her debut with Juilliard Opera in Monteverdi’s L’Orfeo, South Korean soprano Seonwoo Lee is a current Master’s degree student of acclaimed Canadian soprano and educator, Edith Wiens, at the Juilliard School. She graduated at the top of her class at Seoul National University and has earned the Daegu Vocal Competition’s Grand Prize and First Prize at the Korean Voice Competition. Despite being its youngest competitor, Lee also took First Prize in the Dong-A Music Competition.
Onstage in Seoul, Lee has sung with the Hankyung Philharmonic for their 2018 concert with NYIOP at Lotte Concert Hall, and for their 2020 Verdi Opera Gala Concert at the Seoul Arts Center. She performed at Lincoln Center for its Restart Stages series with Juilliard NOW, singing excerpts from The Elixir of Love.
2020-2022: Juilliard School, Master’s Degree
- Edith Wiens, Juilliard School, 2020-present
- Mihae Park, Seoul National University: 2016-2019
- Donald Palumbo, Juilliard School, 2020-present
- Mary Birnbaum, Juilliard School, 2021-present
- Adam Nielsen, Juilliard School, 2020-present
Prizes and Awards
- 1st prize, Dong-A Music Competition
- 1st prize, Korean Voice Competition
- 2nd prize, Korean Broadcasting System & Han-jeon Music Competition
- Grand prize, Daegu Vocal Competition
FIRST ROUND (with piano)
MAURICE RAVEL Air du Feu
(L’enfant et les sortilèges)
RICHARD STRAUSS Ich bin Euer Liebden
(The Knight of the Rose)
GIOACHINO ROSSINI Una voce poco fa
(The Barber of Seville)
Seonwoo Lee is generously sponsored by Nadia Moretto & David B. Sela.